Friday, January 26, 2018

MOD it or KEEP it.

Sometimes in life comes the question: "should I shine up the old Camaro and sell it to fund the new Challanger Hellcat? Or, should I go with the Challanger SRT-8 AND keep the Camaro and rebuild the engine?"

That is a rough time. For us, it could be selling the Mexican Fender Strat funding the USA Deluxe, or just keeping the Mexican and buying a USA Standard and throwing some new pickups in the Mexi?

While there are options, some are far better than others, but ALL are PERSONAL decisions. 

Personally I would keep the Mexi and get the standard and do some work. Let's get out of the world of Strats. This can be anything.

My opinon begins here. MY opinion, thats why y'all read my blog, right??? haha.

If the existing cheap guitar IS decent enough to stay in tune and feels good for you, and you don't have a standing aresonal like I do, keep it.

The number ONE reason for keeping it is if you don't have a backup guitar. There are a few reasons that you would want to have a second/third etc, guitar. For example,  different tunings is primary reason. If you are gigging you NEED, NEED and I repeat NEED a backup.

If the guitar isn't worth keeping, YOU will know. If it is a hindrance or bad omen, for the sake of whatever, get rid or it. I am talking in this scenario as like a Walmart guitar, or too beat up, or flat-out nonfunctional. Nonfunctional guitars will NEVER make things easier for your. Trash is trash.


__________

Here is the bomb going off in here. I recently traded one of the pedals I just built and a twenty dollar bill for a... Squier, yes, a SQUIER strat. how is it? It does the job as shocked as I am. It is like a 2009 or something like that and hasn't been used much at all. Even the origional bullet end strings that he said he hadn't ever changed. At that point all I knew is it was functional, and the truss rod was functional and it made noise in is Frontman 15g (faceplam) combo.

So I take it home and take everything off and clean and polish and buff everything and touch up some frets, outfit it with a carbon fiber pickguard that I had laying around, and bang, I have a brand new beater. As far as mods go, it will see a preamp I will be building in the future, and a new nut and saddles. That is a whopping $30 and it will be great to throw around any shitty local dive bar, and not have anything to fuss over.

__________

Does this mean bullshit statement that everybody belts out, "my $2XX guitar is better than that $2XXX guitar in the store" has any authenticity? Nope. If you like your guitar, good, just don't get too eager to boast it's better than something that is so valuable. To a degree, you DO get what you pay for.

__________

Cheers from Trashed!

3 comments:

  1. i completely agree; I have a 2000 Squire affinity that I hot-rodded with Seymour Duncan pickups and licensed fender parts; as well as graph-tek saddles. I think it kicks ass, but I have kept the original parts so I can sell it if I ever want to, and right now I keep it as a backup for when I'm too lazy to put new strings on my SG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look into "rolling the fretboard edges." It is easy and takes about a half hour to do a good job. I also did some fretwork mainly the ends and it feels much nicer. I have a new HH pickugard on the way for another which get some dimarzios.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to do it for a while but I don't know what tools I would need, could you explain how to do it?

      Delete